11.13.2008

Easy 3ish

I've been planning on a longer run (hopefully around 8ish) this weekend so I planned an easy 3 miler for today. The funny thing about running is that it's introduced me to muscles, bones, bodily functions/reactions, etc. that I never knew existed. Tonight my knee and my previously punctured shin felt great the whole time, but a previously undiscovered muscle (or something) between my ankle and calf on the inside of my right leg started hurting. I'm not even entirely sure how to stretch that particular area, but I guess I better figure it out!

On another note I ran past that metal pole that Nashville Public Works was so kind to leave sticking up in the middle of a sidewalk. I ran into that 1 week ago today and last Friday, after getting a lunchtime tetanus shot, I emailed the city through the Nashville.gov website. I knew it wasn't the right department, but there's no "get that f-ing pole out of the ground" contact listed. To my surprise someone actually replied to me 17 minutes later (how's that for a State employee?!) and copied in the correct person who then asked me for the specific location. I sent that and she said she'd have someone from the sign shop investigate. Well tonight, exactly 1 week later, they had reattached the sign that was supposed to be attached to the pole in the first place.. ya know, the one that would have prevented me from running into a shin high metal pole? Yeah, that one.

I still question the level of retardation it takes to:
  • Decide to put a sign in the middle of a sidewalk
  • Remove the sign while leaving a 12 inch metal pole sticking out of the ground
  • Decide that there's even a need for a sign saying "No Parking" when it's a 2 lane road with nowhere for even the biggest idiot to mistake for roadside parking
Regardless, I was impressed that it was taken care of at all let alone in a week or less.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would say I'm impressed with how quickly that was taken care of, considering I'm in the great Chicagoland area, but it was all you, my friend. They might have let that thing stick out forever had someone not gashed their leg on it and said something. They were afraid of a lawsuit, maybe? Either way, you can now run with the knowledge that you might run into a full-fledged no parking sign now, right in the middle of the sidewalk. Just remember where it was. :)