9.07.2008

In Theaters Today: Return of the Knee

I went out for another easy run today and not very far into it I start feeling the beginning of that same pain in my knee :( I ended up running 3.25 miles over all, but decided to try it with lots of rest between the running. I ran the first 1.5 miles straight, but the rest was done in small segments. That seemed to help at least with the immediate pain, but I'm not sure if it does any good or bad long term.

My grocery trip tonight included a knee strap which I figured I'd at least try and see if that helped at all. Tomorrow is an off day and I'll re-evaluate on Tuesday.

3 comments:

Zoomy said...

Ugh, knee stuff. I hope the strap helps. I don't think mine hurt, but I'm not sure after all this time that it's helped, either. My issue was definitely needing more stability in my shoes.

If your knee is inflamed and irritated it may just require more days off to run pain-free, even in the perfect shoe.

Thomas said...

Yeah I figured the knee strap was at least worth a shot. If it doesn't work or makes it worse then I'm out $7. Actually it came from Walmart so I guess I'd just return it and be out nothing :)

I'm probably not going to be running much at all this week hoping that will make it better and allow me to run my 5k pain free this weekend.

Do you think those isometric exercises that you recommended to Big Richard on RA would do me any good? They seem to be helping him, although I think his knee issue is different from mine.

Zoomy said...

I think the isometric exercises can't hurt and they may really help. For me they didn't seem to make much difference, but my knee issues were caused by lack of medial stability, so it was only once I fixed that issue that things improved.

And knee stuff can still take a LONG time to heal (heh, understatement of the year, maybe), so be patient and keep at things for a few weeks before deciding whether or not any particular treatment is working or not.

:)