9.29.2008

I knee-d Zoomy's advice...

The last time I ran was last Wednesday. My knee hurt so bad after that run that I could feel it just while walking for the next 2 days even with my knee brace. That definitely scared me and made me take more time off to rest than I have in the past. Yesterday was my 4th full day of no running which of course is giving me growing withdrawal symptoms.

So my question to Zoomy (or anyone else with more experience than me) is how long should I wait this time before getting back out there? Obviously whenever I run again I will be keeping it short and slow. I already know I can't run tomorrow so if I take today off (or possibly hit the bike today) then Wednesday would be the next day I could run which will have given me an entire week off. Just looking for advice since what I've been doing has obviously not been working :(

2 comments:

Zoomy said...

Oh, man...I feel your pain--literally. My own knee has been a biotch since a week ago...NOT good timing.

I would take 3-5 days off...minimum. I know it sucks, but continuing to run on it could delay the inevitable time off or even lead to serious problems.

Can you get in to see your doc in the meantime? Or even a referral to a PT or ortho.? That's what I will be doing after the marathon...assuming I still have a knee to save. D'oh!

Thomas said...

Well thanks to some hectic times at work yesterday I ended up not even having an option to run. Tonight I already have plans to go watch my alma mater (MTSU) in a game that's going to be on ESPN2! So the earliest I could run again would be tomorrow which will have given me 7 days off. It's going to suck, but I think for the next week I'm going to limit myself to runs of 1-2 miles and nothing faster than a 10:00 pace.

I've been trying to avoid the doc, but may end up having to go that route. I just moved back to Nashville right before I started running so I don't even have a doc here yet.