9.22.2008

My Knee Brace Search

I'm on day 2 of rest after last week's record breaking (for me) 20.1 miles so I figured I'd post about something that has taken nearly as much time as running has; my search for a knee brace that fits and works.

At first I tried the Jumper's Knee Strap and almost immediately noticed that it made things worse rather than better. It didn't matter how tight or loose it was, where it was placed, etc. it just was not what I needed at all.



So I returned that and tried a sleeve type of brace that had metal along the sides to provide support. I had no idea how big around my knee was so I got the small size. I went back to work and put it on and it felt a little tight, but provided support. A few minutes later my leg was tingling from where it was cutting off circulation so I returned it and got the large size. It felt much better, but again after about 30 minutes my leg felt weird and circulation was still being affected. This time the top of it fit just fine, but I've always had huge calves and that's where the problem was. So basically that meant any kind of elastic brace was out of the question :(


I had been going to Wal-Mart for these and I was running out of options for what they sold. I was down to 2 that were any kind of step up from what I had already tried. Both wrapped around my knee so I was able to give them a try before buying them. The more expensive one bunched at the back of my knee so while it would have been fine for just walking around the office, it was definitely not an option for running. The other one provided the adjustability I needed and seemed to be ok to run in as well so that's what I've been wearing for the past 2 days. I haven't run in it yet, but so far it's providing the support I need and doesn't cut off my circulation like the others so hopefully my 3rd time is the charm.

No comments: